Thursday 8 August 2013

Project Makeover Fugly Dress!

This morning I woke up with a clear sense of purpose! Well no, I woke up grumpy and groggy like every morning. But once I was properly awake, I had a clear sense of purpose!

A dress arrived the other day which I had purchased on Ebay for super cheaps. It looked a bit nanna-ish in the picture but I figured it was only a few dollars and I could probably do something with it. When it arrived, it wasn't quite was I was expecting! It was really a sack with buttons on the front. Everything about it was just so wrong. It was too big, the "waist" was super low, the skirt was too long. The whole thing was about as unflattering as a dress gets.

So I had a think about what I could do with it, and decided to spend today trying to actually do it. I'm pretty sure I've said before how inexperienced I am with sewing, so I'm learning every time I sit down at my machine. But I'm actually really enjoying it and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment once I actually finish something. There is definitely room for improvement with this dress. The bust area is still a little loose, some fabric in the front folded over while I was sewing and I didn't realise so I went straight over it, so I probably need to do that part again, and I'm not completely happy with the gathering at the sides but I was sick of fiddling with it tonight so its staying that way for now. However, as I said, I'm still very new to this so I'm still happy just to end up with something like what I was aiming for!

Here's the dress:

Before and After


And here it is as part of a complete breakfast... um, outfit!

Please excuse the bra straps, I don't even own a strapless bra! The shame!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you really made this into an awesome dress!!! I wish I could sew!

    Mabel
    Life of Mabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's how I felt a few weeks ago, so I bought a cheap sewing machine and am trying to learn ^_^

      Delete
  2. You completely made it better! I too have recently acquired a sewing machine from my mother-in-law (an old 60's one I think) - but I have yet to get really stuck into a project.
    I really love what you've done with this old shapeless dress :)

    Emma (Dear Thirty) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma :) I'm trying to get into it more. A few days ago I bought fabric to make skirts for my daughters so I'm sure I'll post the results of that when I get around to making them. I'm happy that I'm not terrible at it so far lol!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love what you did with that dress! I wish I had those seamstress skills :). Thanks so much for your sweet comment, it truly made my day!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have, so don't be shy! :)